Friday, September 26, 2008

"cozy corners."


I nearly got kicked out of architecture school for questioning the likes of Christopher Alexander and his manifesto of modular coziness. My teachers were his students. Christopher Alexander wrote a text called Pattern Language which defines a series of architectural moments meant to be pieced together to create universal 'comfort'. I always questioned the arrogance of attempting to define my experience in such a specific and dogmatic way. Architecture is arrogant by nature but this 'style' was created under the pretense of being completely democratic, nuts and berries style. In my (somewhat) humble opinion, corners clad in wood with six foot ceilings were a righteous and potentially dangerous interpretation of democracy. Twenty six foot ceilings and white walls leave much more space for negotiation. So much space that I have nearly lost friends in my living room. "Do you have something against comfortable chairs?". Just to prove my friends wrong, and to be able to invite them for tea, I have worked on this corner. Maybe I learned a thing or two from Chris after all.

No comments: