Saturday, July 26, 2008

HEIST


Brilliant.
The exemplary author Lawrence Weschler wrote a book called Everything that Rises. A Book of Convergences.. Here is a convergence of a different genre.
I had a meeting to propose a book project this week. There were ideas, but just before leaving for the city I received a call: "I have something to tell you Kara, your work was at the warehouse being photographed and there has been a burglary". Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of art and collectables everywhere and yet all they took was my stuff. Kiki Smith had a tray right next to mine. I'm pretty certain that this was an uninformed thief who has been following the outrageous gold standard, now hovering just below a thousand an ounce. My work must have looked delicious since it intentionally resembles a heaping pile of gold trash. When I go to 47th street to buy scrap it is a full on adventure. There are usually long lines of people emptying their pockets of misdirected wedding rings, dead relatives' gold teeth...or carefully lifted junk from a Brooklyn warehouse I'm sure.
I will spend the next weeks attempting to retrieve my trash since it will likely be re-dumped in the yard where I found it. There is a better story (and a new crown) in there somewhere.

3 comments:

They say it's a cold world said...

Having your art ripped off is pretty much the definition of superstardom, the same way handbag designers know they have got it made when the fakes start showing up on Canal street. That's massive. I doubt it was some reader of the Financial Times tracking the price of bullion--much more likely someone desperate to their hands on a piece of that Beyoncé aura. "Who wants these stinky old Kiki Smiths, anyway? Grab up that bling!"

tdog said...

you've GOT to kidding me! Is it insured? What next?

jkarah said...

next I go looking for it on 47th st...
or if Rich is right...at Sotheby's.