Thursday, March 20, 2008

and now a word from our sponsor...


It may look like I'm about to spit at the camera but really the nuns were just cracking me up. It was easily the most honorable and surprising experience to spend the night with a couple of radical Buddhist nuns from Nepal.
Now, in return I would like to take a moment to promote their most nobel cause. These two nuns, Venerable Molini and Venerable Dhamma Vijaya, are building a school in Kathmandu to provide education and shelter for females at risk of becoming victims to human traffickers who sell girls, as young as six, to the sex trade in India: http://www.dhammamoli.org
I might exchange my pellet stove for a new wing at the school...or at least a few extra beds.

2 comments:

They say it's a cold world said...

Were the nuns guests of the Creamery? Seems like a timely visit what with all the mayhem in Tibet. I would have like to hear their perspective. Not that I'm remotely sympathetic to the Chinese perspective.... Anyway, regarding the photo, I believe it is considered permissible to burst out laughing while hugging two buddhists, and perhaps even approved of.

jkarah said...

The nuns were very diplomatic and Buddhist in their perspective. They mainly spoke of condemning the Tibetan violence on small Chinese business'.
They are nuns of the Theravada school, so they are not disciples of the Dalai Lama.
I guess laughing is part of the Buddha's deal huh? These sisters have a particularly irreverent sense of humor.

Thanks for the Obama video!