Thursday, May 29, 2008

å la Peter Hutton


"One of the great revelations of traveling by sea is how slow it is compared to airplane or even train travel. You can actually go backwards in time on a boat, you can sail into a storm and make no headway...One of the exhilarating and terrifying aspects of traveling by sea is the vulnerability you feel and the fact that you're not isolated from nature, but rather in the heart of nature itself....As I was turning around, a big wave dipped over the bow. It could have washed me over. I scurried up to the bridge and continued to observe the storm from up there...Being on the boat forced me to slow down, and allowed me to take time to look."

Peter Hutton, avant-garde filmmaker, works in the area making images of the Hudson and the Catskills region. See: Study of a River

2 comments:

They say it's a cold world said...

Is Peter Hutton a neighbor? I met him, about 25 years ago. I think P. Adams Sitney must have introduced us. What a sweet quote about water travel he provides, even if the terrors of the ocean passage it suggests aren't such a threat on your creek. Right up there with the Wind in the Willows: "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."

jkarah said...

I believe time is a humbling threat even on my little creek....