Tuesday, June 24, 2008

retail therapy

Seems like a lifetime of struggling to understand the meaning of "living in the moment" has led to serious side effects such as profound short/long term memory loss, as well as the inability to concentrate for more than a few seconds at a time. In two very long weeks this has all changed. I get it. I just hope I get to keep it, since it is not the first time I've felt a subconscious breakthrough.
September 11th 2001 was a similar experience. This day was riddled with conflicting emotions exemplified by the fact that I witnessed the entire disaster from my Brooklyn rooftop with two of the most gorgeous french men I'd ever seen, while they smoked Gitannes in their underwear. I'm not kidding. They lit their cigarettes with flaming World Trade documents which landed on the roof while we quietly watched the universe come to an end. Jean-Marc and Nicholas rode their rental bikes to my place the day before having heard that I leased my top floor to handsome strangers, and we all woke up to Armageddon. The week following was amazing, the three of us ate and drank and talked about what would happen if we were the only ones left on earth. It was terrifying and beautiful and sad and thrilling and hopeless and dreamy.
Once again, serious adversity doesn't feel as much like a sentence as it feels like a second lease on life. I say this even after I was given an important list of instructions yesterday which included a "mandatory trip to Bloomingdale's...even if you just go in one door and out the other...the colors and smells will transport you"....to the local asylum maybe.

No comments: